Friday, February 6, 2015

New Colossals!


My current thoughts on these things matches up a lot with a post from the big boards:
"I'm considering this a no win situation for me. I already own two Conquests. I bought them (one very much discounted) and had them commission painted which is not cheap. I'm unhappy with its rules so I don't use it often. 

Now comes the Victor. It practically looks like the same model but has different rules. It creates rough terrain, drops defense, and causes fire. It has longer range but is innacurate.

So outcome 1 is that the rules aren't very good and I don't buy it in which case it is wasted slot in the book. Outcome 2 is that it is better than Conquest and makes it obsolete. Neither of these makes me happy.

I personally would have been much happier with a rules re-write for Conquest rather than a new model on the same chassis."

I love Colossals but they are an expensive purchase for PP to iteratively get right.

1 comment:

  1. This next generation of collassals with the exception of the Helios appear to be more tech orriented than the oringinal incarnations. I think it will be very interesting to see the new kits that they will produce to support these models. This might be another round of conversion kits or a move to hard plastics.

    The Victor looks interesting, but the Gun carriage can put down two 4” template at an estimated half the cost. This collassals small turrets and points cost are going to determine itsplayability compare to the stong character warjack stable that Khador already has.

    The most unusual thing about this group is the CoC collassal being obviously weak to Cygnar lists. This would be a first to have a huge based model to have such a telegraphed weakness agaisnt a non-Mirror match situation.

    Overall it looks that PP is trying to encourage larger point more casual games. I expect that these collassals will take a back seat to the new warjacks in this book. In terms of wasting a slot, I would veiw these as bonus rules rather than a true slot, simular to the black dragons or eAlexia. The biggest change I see these models producing is in the tier lists that they can support. Of course all of this is just based on guesses and patterns of PP past behaviour.

    ReplyDelete